Group of aerosol cans

Aerosol cans

From hair spray and spray paints to bug spray and deordant cans, cooking oil spray cans to aerosol cans.

The main part of an aerosol can is the outer casing and 90 percent of these are made from tin-plated steel.  The remaining 10 percent are made from aluminium.  Both types are recyclable.  Aerosol cans also contain some small plastic and rubber components including the lid, valve and dip tube.


Aerosol cans are accepted for recycling through kerbside recycle collection or your nearest recycle drop off centre.


How do I recycle it?
  • Ensure that your aerosol can is completely empty
  • Aerosols can be stored for a long time so hold onto a half empty can if possible
  • Do not pierce, crush or flatten the aerosol can. 
  • Detach or remove any loose or removabe parts, such as the lid, and dispose of them with the rest of your rubbish.


Where can I recycle it?
  • Recycle drop off centre - in the bin labelled tin/steel
  • Kerbside recycling service 
  • Transfer station - in the recycling bin labelled tin/steel