How much are we throwing out?
The WasteNet Councils' operate a kerbside recycling and rubbish collection service. Approximately 19,840 tonnes of materials were discarded through both the yellow recycling and red rubbish bins in 2016. Recycling accounted for 32-percent of the wheelie bin waste stream.
This photo shows how much waste each Invercargill and Bluff household throws
out each year.
It is easy to forget how quickly waste piles up. When you see the amount of recycling and rubbish one-household can produce in a year, it can be quite astounding.
Here are some of the interesting statistics that we've uncovered about the kerbside recycling and rubbish collection service:
- 60 to 64% of participants put their yellow recycling bin out on collection day.
- The average weight in the yellow recycling bin is 10 to 13kgs.
- 75 to 79% of participants put their red rubbish bin out on collection day.
- The average weight in the red rubbish bin is 11 to 19kgs.
Below is a bar-graph showing the monthly tonnage of recycling and rubbish collected during the last twelve months.
- The yellow bar is the recycling tonnage
- The red bar is the rubbish tonnage